Such a quick and easy soup deserves a quick and easy write up. It has very few ingredients and is ready in 30 minutes. Also, my 17 month old ate 3 bowls of it. If that isn’t an endorsement; I don’t know what is.
I use frozen cubed butternut squash for this rather than roasting it fresh. There are plenty of good recipes where I roast the squash, but for a quick weeknight meal, the frozen product is perfect and so helpful. It cuts a full hour out of the prep time.
3 small carrots
4 Stalks celery
1 small yellow onion
2 C. Frozen butternut squash cubed
6 C. Chicken Broth/Stock
1/2 C. Half and Half
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp White Pepper (black is fine, use 1/4 tsp)
1 Tsp Salt
1. Prepare Vegetables, by peeling and chopping carrots, cleaning and chopping celery, and chopping onion.
2. Heat soup pot on medium, and add olive oil.
3. Sauté Vegetables until onions turn translucent.
4. Add Seasoning.
5. Add stock and frozen butternut squash.
6. Turn heat on high, and bowl for 15-20 minutes.
7. Once all vegetables are soft, add half and half and blend. You can blend using and immersion blender or transfer soup to table top blender.
8. Serve with a drizzle of aged balsamic.
“Shine like the day I set cosmic eyes on you, friend, by the light of the sweet squash in my lovely laser broom.” Bradley Chicho