Coming up with new and exciting side dishes is a great pleasure of mine. When I work on main courses, I sometimes get locked into the routine of chicken, fish, meat, etc., and while there are endless possibilities cooking almost anything; taking a trip down the produce isle and dreaming up great vegetable side dishes always gets my creative juices flowing. I think it is just the color in the produce section that really excites me. Vegetables are so bright and exciting. This dish really started with color first. I know that sounds silly, because you can’t eat color, but I the bright green brussel sprouts, orange sweet potato, red pepper, and purple (red) onion just had to be together.
2 C. Brussel Sprouts
1 Large Sweet Potato
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Red Onion
1/4 C. Brown Sugar
1/2 C. Water
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Powder
Salt and Pepper
- Prepare all your vegetables in advance.
- Wash Brussel Sprouts, remove bottoms, and cut into quarters.
- Peel, wash, and cut sweet potato into 1″ pieces.
- Wash bell pepper, remove seeds and ribs, and cut into 1″ pieces.
- Cut Onion into half moon slices.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add Olive Oil to the pan, and then add all of your vegetables to the pan.
- Stir and coat with olive oil.
- Season with Salt and Pepper, and continue to cook until onions begin to soften.
- Once onions are soft, sprinkle brownsugar and butter over the top.
- Add water and cover.
- Lower your heat to medium/low and let cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
“I’m sorry for calling you an inanimate object.” -Harry (In Bruges)