30-Minute Tomato Basil Bisque
This creamy tomato basil bisque has all the great tomato-basil taste mellowed only slightly by a touch of rich cream. It is a quick weeknight meal that you can enjoy over and over again.
Servings 6 Servings
- 1 23 oz Canned Tomatoes Whole Peeled in Puree or Crushed
- 1 Bundle Fresh Basil Stems Removed
- 1 Small Yellow onion Roughly Chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic Sliced
- 1 Quarts Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
In a Dutch oven or soup pot, sauté chopped onion and garlic in butter and olive oil until the onions are translucent.
Then, add sautéed vegetables to the blender, along with canned tomato, and basil leaves.
Blend until the mixture is smooth and completely combined.
Next, transfer the tomato basil soup base back to your soup pot.
Add chicken broth and bring to a low simmer for 20 minutes.
Finally, add the heavy cream and simmer on low for 10 more minutes.
Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches and your favorite green salad.
What is tomato basil bisque
A tomato basil bisque is a blended tomato soup. Cream is added for thickening and richness.
- Don’t take too much time chopping the onions and garlic. A rough chop is all you need because you are going to blend them along with the tomatoes and basil.
- Never bring this cream based soup to a boil. Keep the pot at a low simmer. Boiling will curdle the cream. Low heat will ensure perfectly smooth bisque.
Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 1783mg | Potassium: 168mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 419IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg