Avgolemono or Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is a very special recipe. Taking your first bite of this unique soup brings all of the warmth and comfort of traditional chicken soup, while the bright lemon flavor steals you away and drenches you with Mediterranean sunlight.
Preparing This Beautiful Greek Lemon Chicken Soup with Rice Soup is So Easy, but has a very Unique Preparation.
The Soup Base
The base for this soup could not be more simple. Saute carrots, a yellow onion, and a few cloves of garlic. Season everything with salt, pepper, and oregano. If you like a little extra spice, add a pinch of red pepper flake. Add water and bring to a boil. Put chicken breasts in to cook. Once they are cooked, remove them from the broth and dice into bite sized pieces. Return them to broth.
An Easy Egg technique makes a beautiful velvety broth.
I ate this soup all the time a Greek restaurant years ago, and I always wondered how they created the amazing broth. The texture is just a little thicker than bouillabaisse, and it is very rich. Cornstarch or flour are really common thickeners, but they don’t add flavor.
When I learned it was egg, it suddenly made so much sense. Eggs are a great thickening agent and they give this broth the wonderful rich flavor. They also stand up well to the lemon flavor and balance everything out.
Separate the eggs. Set the yolks aside. Beat the egg white on a medium high-speed until they are frothy and white. Add the yolks and continue to beat at the same speed until they are well combined and frothy as well. Continue mixing on low-speed. Add the juice from 3 Lemons or approximately 3/4 of a cup to the eggs. Then add 1/2 cup of hot broth to the eggs while stirring. This will temper the eggs and prevent turning the egg mixture into a scramble. Add the eggs mixture to the soup pot and stir in completely.
A little rice makes this Greek Lemon Chicken Soup extra filling.
Finally, add a cup of rice to the soup. Simmer for twenty minutes, and stir occasionally. It is important to stir at this point. The rice can sink to the bottom of the pot and burn if you do not.
For More Great Mediterranean Flavor; try These Amazing Pork Souvlaki Skewers.
“A first-rate soup is more creative than a second-rate painting.”- Abraham Maslow
Read more at: BrainyQuotes.com
Avgolemono: Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- 1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Meat
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 10 Cups Water
- 1 Cup White Rice Short Grain Preferred
- 2 Eggs Separated
- 3 Lemons 3/4 Cup Juice
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dry Oregano
- pinch Red Pepper Flake (optional)
- Prepare your vegetables. Peel and dice carrots and yellow onion. Remove the skins from the garlic. Heat a large soup pot on medium heat. When the pan is hot add olive oil. Then put in the carrots, chopped onion, and garlic into the pot. Stir to coat with olive. Season with salt, pepper, and dry oregano. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add 10 Cups of water. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to reach a simmer. Add chicken breasts to the pot. Let cook for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and cut into small pieces, approximately 1/4". Return the chicken to the pot and continue to simmer.
- Separate the eggs. Set the yolks aside. Beat the egg white on a medium high speed until they are frothy and white. Add the yolks and continue to beat at the same speed until they are well combined and frothy as well. Continue mixing on low speed. Add the juice from 3 Lemons or approximately 3/4 of a cup to the eggs. Then add 1/2 cup of hot broth to the eggs while stirring. This will temper the eggs and prevent turning the egg mixture into a scramble. Add the eggs mixture to the soup pot and stir in completely.
- Finally, add 1 cup of short grain white rice, and let cook for 20 more minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from burning on the bottom of the pot.