Shrimp Avocado Mango Corn Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette is the perfect answer to hot summer nights. This refreshing salad is a perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors all atop beautifully crisp lettuce. The best part is that with ready made ingredients, the cooking is optional.
When it gets hot here; it gets hot here! No-cook recipes are a must for summer time dinners.
As the weather gets hotter, I try to use my stove and oven as little as possible. After years of cooking on contract, I love that I can choose to not stand over a hot flame when temps are in the triple digits. With this recipe you can opt out of cooking all together or cook very little.
Frozen cooked shrimp is an awesome ingredient that requires zero prep work. I always keep a little in my freezer for times I don’t feel like cooking. Adding it to this salad is my favorite way to use it.
What is the best way to defrost shrimp for a quick and easy shrimp avocado mango corn salad?
Whether you are a planner or a last minute Sally, you can get this shrimp defrosted in time for dinner.
For our planners, simply put the frozen shrimp in the refrigerator the night before you plan to use it. If you aren’t going to use the whole bag, transfer the portion you need to a food storage bag or a bowl covered with plastic wrap. Place the bag or bowl in the fridge and put the remaining shrimp back in the freezer.
For our last minute Sallys, place the frozen shrimp in a bowl of cool water. The frozen shrimp usually takes about 20 minutes to defrost. That is the perfect amount of time to make the citrus vinaigrette, wash the produce, and arrange a nice dinner salad.
Do Not leave frozen shrimp on the counter all day to defrost.
No matter which method you choose, be sure to drain away extra water and pat dry before using the shrimp. Remove the tails so make the shrimp easier to eat.
Making a perfect Shrimp, Mango, Avocado, Corn Salad is super simple, but these tips will help you make the perfect salad.
- Slice the onions very thinly. Red onions add a nice bite and a little spice.
- Cut the mangoes into bite sized pieces so you can get a little with every bite.
- Add the fresh cilantro to the dressing instead of the salad bowl. The chopped cilantro leaves will add zesty flavor to the dressing and the liquids will disperse that flavor evenly throughout the whole salad.
- A little dressing goes a long way if you toss the salad well. Toss the salad until all of the romaine leaves have a nice shiny coating.
- Grilled corn is a nice touch, but using canned corn means no cooking.
"The perfect dressing is essential to the perfect salad, and I see no reason whatsoever for using a bottled dressing, which may have been sitting on the grocery shelf for weeks, even months - even years."-
Shrimp Avocado Mango Corn Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 Lbs Cooked Shrimp Medium or Bay Shrimp
- 7 Cups Romaine Hearts
- 1 Cup Canned Corn
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Mango
- ¼ Cup Red Onion Sliced
- Juice of 1 Orange
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro Chopped
- 1 Tsp Garlic Pressed or Minced
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Black Pepper
- Be sure to defrost shrimp ahead of time by placing the frozen shrimp in the refrigerator overnight. You can use a quick defrost method of placing shrimp in a bowl of cool water for 20 minutes.
- Make the dressing by mixing the juice of one orange, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, chopped cilantro, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper together with a whisk. Let dressing sit while building the remainder of the salad.
- Wash Romaine lettuce, avocados, and mangos well.
- Chop lettuce into bite sized pieces and place in a large salad bowl.
- Cut mangoes into ½ inch cubes. Cut avocados and red onions into thin slices. Add these items to the salad bowl.
- Drain the canned corn and add one cup to the salad. You can also use fresh corn. Simply husk corn on the cob and grill on each side for 3-5 minutes. Cut the kernels away from the cob and add them to the salad.
- Drain away any excess water from the defrosted shrimp and pat dry with a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the salad bowl.
- Dress the salad with citrus vinaigrette and toss well before serving.