I couldn’t resist making this Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe last night. The sky was cloudy and it had drizzled all day. It was absolutely perfect weather for a hot bowl of spicy and hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup. This healthy dinner is filled with beans, lean chicken, fresh veggies, and loads of great flavor. My husband requested it, and I really couldn’t say no because it is just too good.
This recipe has all of the key elements for a weeknight, winter meal in our house.
Family Sized Recipe
This recipe filled a 7 quart pot, and is more than enough soup for dinner and a few lunches. If you were really ambitious and doubled this recipe, it would feed the whole neighborhood.
It is Quick and Easy!
I can get the vegetables and chicken chopped and sauteed very quickly. Then all there is left to do is open cans and dump them in the pot. 15 minutes of prep and it only takes another 30 minutes to be complete. That is dinner in under an hour. Just the way I like it.
Most Importantly, This Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe is Delicious!
Or try these Leftover Makeover, Steak Quesadillas.
“Only the pure of heart can make a good soup. ” Ludwig Van Beethoven
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb Chicken Breast Tenders
- 3 Stalks Celery
- 2 Medium Carrots
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 15 oz Can Black Beans
- 1 15 oz Can Kidney Beans
- 1 15 oz Can Corn
- 1 15 oz Can Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Dry Parsley
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Cilantro for Topping
- Crispy Tortilla strips: Corn or Flour Tortillas and Olive oil (Cut tortillas into strips, coat lightly with olive oil, and bake for 3-5 minutes on 350 Degrees.
- Prepare all your vegetables. Wash and peel carrots. Wash celery. Peel onion and garlic. Chop everything into approx 1/4" diced pieces and set aside. Heat a large soup pot on medium heat. Add olive oil to the pot and then add all of the chopped vegetables. Cook until onions begin to soften.
- Cut Chicken into 1/2" pieces. Add Chicken to the soup pot, and season with all dry spices. Cook the chicken until it is browned.
- Then add the canned beans, corn, and stewed tomatoes with the juice from the can. Stir together and add 1 quart of chicken stock. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with a bit of fresh cilantro or sour cream and the freshly made crispy tortilla strips.