I couldn’t resist making a big pot of soup last night. The sky was cloudy and it had drizzled all day. It was absolutely perfect weather for hot bowl of spicy and hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup. This soup is full of filling beans, lean chicken, fresh veggies, and loads of great flavor. My husband requested it, and I really couldn’t say no, because he had made some wonderful jalapeno sausage to contribute to the meal.
This Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe has all of the key elements for a weeknight meal in our house.
It makes a ton!
This tortilla soup recipe filled a 7 quart pot, and is more than enough for dinner and a few lunches. If you were really ambitious and doubled this recipe, it would the whole neighborhood.
It fits our budget!
I put this soup together for under $10 in groceries. I had most of the ingredients in my pantry and fridge already. I only had to stop by the store for some fresh chicken breast tenders, and a can of stewed tomatoes.
It is Quick!
I can get the vegetables and chicken chopped and sautéed very quickly. Then all there is left to do is open cans and dump them in the pot. 15 minutes of prep and it only takes another 30 minutes to be complete. That is dinner in under an hour. Just the way I like it.
Oh, and it is so super delicious!!!
If you loved this soup, you will love these Chicken Enchilada Flautas. This recipe is a great way to turn a boring rotisserie chicken into a fun family favorite in under 30 minutes.
Or try these Leftover Makeover, Steak Quesadillas.
“Only the pure of heart can make a good soup. ” Ludwig Van Beethoven
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 lb Chicken Breast Tenders
- 3 Stalks Celery
- 2 Medium Carrots
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 15 oz Can Black Beans
- 1 15 oz Can Kidney Beans
- 1 15 oz Can Corn
- 1 15 oz Can Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Dry Parsley
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- Cilantro for Topping
- Crispy Tortilla strips: Corn or Flour Tortillas and Olive oil (Cut tortillas into strips, coat lightly with olive oil, and bake for 3-5 minutes on 350 Degrees.
- Prepare all your vegetables. Wash and peel carrots. Wash celery. Peel onion and garlic. Chop everything into approx 1/4" diced pieces and set aside. Heat a large soup pot on medium heat. Add olive oil to the pot and then add all of the chopped vegetables. Cook until onions begin to soften.
- Cut Chicken into 1/2" pieces. Add Chicken to the soup pot, and season with all dry spices. Cook the chicken until it is browned.
- Then add the canned beans, corn, and stewed tomatoes with the juice from the can. Stir together and add 1 quart of chicken stock. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with a bit of fresh cilantro or sour cream and the freshly made crispy tortilla strips.