Tender shredded chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and rice are seasoned with onions, garlic, and Mexican spices for a perfectly filling Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowl.
This delicious Chicken Taco Bowl is made right in your slow cooker while you do everything else. It takes just 15 minutes to prepare this amazing set and forget crock-pot chicken dinner that feeds an army and will have your family begging for seconds.
Make this recipe today!
- This meal is one of my favorite slow cooker recipes because the prep is so simple and so fast.
- This can be made on the fastest or slowest crock-pot setting.
- It makes a beautiful, healthy chicken taco bowl or is amazing as filling for burritos, quesadillas, and even works as nacho toppings.
- This is a large, budget friendly recipe the whole family will love.
- Most of the ingredients for this recipe are sitting in your pantry right now!
- Add Chicken Breasts to the slow cooker whole.
- Drain and rinse black beans. Drain canned corn. Add black beans, canned corn, and canned tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- Wash peppers, and cilantro thoroughly.
- Dice yellow onion, green bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeno (optional). Add to the slow cooker along with dry spices, bouillon cube, and water.
- Choose the setting on the slow cooker. Times between 4-8 hours will work.
- Do Not Add Rice!
- Once the timer has gone off, use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add rice and gently stir in. Turn the cooker back on high, put the lid on and let rice cook for 40-45 minutes.
This slow cooker recipe is very flexible. Large chicken breasts cooking on low heat in flavorful juices will not dry out. On the flip side, if you need them done faster they will cook quickly and shred up nicely. So this chicken dinner can be cooked on the fastest setting for those of you who start your dinner later in the day or the slowest for those of you who like to get started early in the morning. Typical settings range from 4-8 hours.
Adding rice to your crock-pot can be a bit tricky. Add rice after the other ingredients have cooked. That means you may need to add approximately 40 minutes to the cook time. You can start 40 minutes before the slow cooker goes to the warm setting, or you can add 40 minutes anytime after it is finished cooking. You will turn the crock-pot back on.
Yes! I often buy all of my ingredients in bulk and make up a few bags for the freezer while I’m making my dinner. Be sure to double bag and label your freezer bags with a name and date to ensure freshness. Do NOT add rice to the bag. Store rice separately in a cool, dry place.
Be sure to defrost the contents of your prepared freezer bag in the refrigerator the night before. Add ingredients to the slow cooker and set the timer. Add rice and serve following recipe instructions.
I like to serve up my bowls with some shredded cabbage, sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese, and a little avocado if you have it. This adds some great textures and flavors that remind me of my favorite Mexican Restaurant.
You can add any toppings you like or put it over a big green salad. With the leftovers, I make amazing quesadillas and burritos. It’s even great with some scrambled eggs for a breakfast burrito.
While the rice is cooking, I use the time to gather and prep all of the toppings for my taco bowls. This way I’m working towards getting dinner on the table and will be ready to serve the bowl as soon as the rice is fully cooked.
Satisfy your Mexican Food Cravings at home with these great recipes.
- 1.25 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cups corn
- 2 Cups Black Beans
- 2 Cups Diced tomatoes
- 1 Diced Yellow Onion
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- ½ Diced Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Minced Jalapeno
- 1 Bouillon Cube
- 2 Tbsp Chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Red Chili
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Cup White Rice Do not freeze with Rice (Add Rice at the end of cooking)
- Add Whole boneless skinless chicken breast to a one gallon freezer bag.
- Chop onions, garlic, green bell pepper, cilantro, and jalapeno and add them to the slow cooker. Add canned corn, black beans and tomatoes. Add dry spices and bouillon cube.
- Close and press out air. Place inside an additional freezer bag to prevent leaks. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost before cooking by placing bag in the fridge the night before.
- Add Defrosted contents to the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours.
- Add one cup of water. Gently stir ingredients around. Set slow cooker for 6 hours. When the slow cooker is close to finished, remove the lid and use a fork to shred the chicken. Add rice to the slow cooker and stir into the sauce. Cover and let cook for 30 more minutes or until the rice is fully puffed. Most of the liquid will be absorbed by the rice. You may need to turn your slow cooker back on if has turned off or transitioned to the warm setting.
- Serve over romaine lettuce and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, and salsa. This can also go into a tortilla for a burrito, or grilled up with in a quesadilla.