Tender shredded chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and rice are seasoned with onions, garlic, and Mexican spices for a perfectly filling Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowl. This delicious Chicken Taco Bowl is made right in your slow cooker while you do everything else. It takes just 15 minutes to prepare this amazing set and forget it chicken dinner that feeds an army and will have your family begging for seconds.
Quick and Easy Prep Work
This meal is one of my favorite slow cooker recipes because the prep is so simple. The only chopping you do is the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Even these can be bought already chopped up at the grocery store if you really want to just dump everything in and cook. Place the whole chicken breasts at the bottom of the crock pot and then pour all of your ingredients except the rice on top. Be sure to drain the corn and black beans before adding.
How Long do I Set My Slow Cooker to Make the Best Chicken?
This slow cooker recipe is very flexible. Large chicken breasts cooking on low heat in flavorful juices will not dry out. On the flip side, if you need them done faster they will cook quickly and shred up nicely. So this chicken dinner can be cooked on the fastest setting for those of you who start your dinner later in the day or the slowest for those of you who like to get started early in the morning. Either way when the timer goes off, you will be able to use a fork to easily shred this super tender chicken.
Adding the Rice at Just the Right Time
The only thing that can be a little tricky is adding rice to your slow cooker. I add water and bouillon or stock to my slow cooker recipes to make sure they don’t burn when I’m not watching. Adding rice can change how much water you want because you will need enough liquid for the rice to absorb and puff up nicely. I found I can’t add rice early in the morning to a crock pot recipe because it soaks up all of the liquid and either burns or leaves things dry.
For this recipe, I add the white rice while I’m finishing up the rest of our dinner. It takes about 45 minutes for rice to cook properly in the crock pot. If you add it right when you get done with the school pick up or right when you walk in from work, it will be done in plenty of time. Also, when the rice is done, you can set the crock pot and warm and the finished chicken dish will sit nicely until you are ready for it.
Serve Up the Best Chicken Taco Bowls or Something Else
I like to serve up my bowls with some shredded cabbage, sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese, and a little avocado if you have it. This adds some great textures and flavors that remind me of my favorite Mexican Restaurant.
You can add any toppings you like or put it over a big green salad. With the leftovers, I make amazing quesadillas and burritos. It’s even great with some scrambled eggs for a breakfast burrito.
Freeze the Ingredients for Quick Go To Meals
Often, when I make this, I buy all of my ingredients in bulk and make up a few bags for the freezer as well. Be sure to double bag and label your slow cooker chicken taco bowl and put the date to ensure freshness. These ingredients freeze very well, and to use them simply take the back of taco ingredients out the night before and place them in the refrigerator to start defrosting. Do take the time to measure out your rice when you make up your freezer bags. I put the rice in a sandwich bag and place it between the two freezer bags to make sure I have rice when I decide to use these.
Chicken Taco Bowl
- 1.25 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cups corn
- 2 Cups Black Beans
- 2 Cups Diced tomatoes
- 1 Diced Yellow Onion
- 4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- ½ Diced Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Minced Jalapeno
- 1 Bouillon Cube
- 2 Tbsp Chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Red Chili
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Cup White Rice Do not freeze with Rice (Add Rice at the end of cooking)
- Add Whole boneless skinless chicken breast to a one gallon freezer bag.
- Chop onions, garlic, green bell pepper, cilantro, and jalapeno and add them to the slow cooker. Add canned corn, black beans and tomatoes. Add dry spices and bouillon cube.
- Close and press out air. Place inside an additional freezer bag to prevent leaks. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost before cooking by placing bag in the fridge the night before.
- Add Defrosted contents to the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours.
- Add one cup of water. Gently stir ingredients around. Set slow cooker for 6 hours. When the slow cooker is close to finished, remove the lid and use a fork to shred the chicken. Add rice to the slow cooker and stir into the sauce. Cover and let cook for 30 more minutes or until the rice is fully puffed. Most of the liquid will be absorbed by the rice. You may need to turn your slow cooker back on if has turned off or transitioned to the warm setting.
- Serve over romaine lettuce and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, and salsa. This can also go into a tortilla for a burrito, or grilled up with in a quesadilla.
If you love Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos, try these other great chicken recipes.
For More Amazing Slow Cooker Dinners, Check out These Great Recipes.