Tender shredded chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and rice are seasoned with onions, garlic, and Mexican spices for a perfectly filling Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl.
This slow cooker recipe is so delicious and so versatile. The burrito filling has everything you need; shredded chicken, black beans, corn, rice, and big flavor. Bowls are my family’s favorite way to have this dish because we can load them up with delicious toppings.
It is also great wrapped in a tortilla for awesome chicken burritos. It makes great quesadillas and nachos too.
Take this meal to the next level with the Best Guacamole Recipe!
Make this recipe today!
This meal is one of my favorite recipes because the prep is so simple and so fast to prepare.
This can be made on the fastest or slowest setting. Whether you like to start the crockpot before you head out to work or before picking up the kids from school, you can have dinner ready on time.
This is a large, budget friendly recipe the whole family will love.
The ingredients can be put together ahead of time and frozen for even easier prep in the future.
Most of the ingredients for this slow cooker burrito bowl recipe are sitting in your pantry right now!
- First, add Chicken Breasts to the cooker whole.
- Then add drained and rinsed canned black beans and corn along with diced yellow onion, green bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno (optional), dry spices, and a bouillon cube.
- Finally, add water and set the timer for between 4-8 hours.
- Do Not Add Rice!
- Once the timer has gone off, use two forks to shred the chicken.
- The last step, is to add the rice and gently stir in. Turn the cooker back on high, put the lid on and let rice cook for 40-45 minutes.
How to Serve
I like to serve up my bowls with some shredded cabbage, sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese, and a little avocado if you have it. This adds some great textures and flavors that remind me of my favorite Mexican Restaurant.
You can add any toppings you like or put it over a big green salad. With the leftovers, I make amazing quesadillas and burritos. It’s even great with some scrambled eggs for a breakfast burrito.
This recipe is very flexible. Large chicken breasts cooking on low heat in flavorful juices will not dry out. On the flip side, if you need them done faster they will cook quickly and shred up nicely. So this chicken dinner can be cooked on the fastest setting for those of you who start your dinner later in the day or the slowest for those of you who like to get started early in the morning. Typical settings range from 4-8 hours.
Adding rice to your crock-pot can be a bit tricky. Add rice after the other ingredients have cooked. That means you may need to add approximately 40 minutes to the cook time. You can start 40 minutes before the cooker goes to the warm setting, or you can add 40 minutes anytime after it is finished cooking.
Diana's Tips for Success
Freezing and Storage
Can I prepare this recipe for the freezer?
Yes! I often buy all of my ingredients in bulk and make up a few bags for the freezer while I’m making my dinner. Be sure to double bag and label your freezer bags with a name and date to ensure freshness. Do NOT add rice to the bag. Store rice separately in a cool, dry place.
Instructions in the recipe card.
How do I cook this meal from frozen?
Be sure to defrost the contents of your prepared freezer bag in the refrigerator the night before. Add ingredients to the slow cooker and set the timer. Add rice and serve following recipe instructions.
Store leftover burrito bowl filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheat in a skillet on low heat. Add a few tablespoons of water to prevent burning.
Microwave on high heat for 1 minutes and stir. Heat 30 seconds at a time after that, stirring in between sessions.
Make more burrito bowls, taco salad, quesadillas, or nachos with leftover filling.
Satisfy your Mexican Food Cravings at home with these great recipes.
Stay in the Know! Follow Delicious by Design on Facebook for new recipes and cooking tips! Love this recipe? Leave a 5 Star Review!
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl Filling
- Slow Cooker
- 1.25 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cups Canned Corn 1 Can, drained
- 2 Cups Canned Black Beans 1 Can, drained and rinsed
- 2 Cups Crushed Tomatoes 1 Can
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- ½ Green Bell Pepper diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Jalapeno minced, optional
- 1 Bouillon Cube
- 2 tablespoon Cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Reserved do not store these in the freezer bag
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup White Rice
Burrito Bowl Toppings (Optional)
- 6 Cups Coleslaw Mix no dressing
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Add Whole boneless skinless chicken breast to the crockpot.
- Add drained and rinsed canned corn and black beans to the slow cooker.
- Then, add yellow onion, green bell pepper, garlic, cilantro, jalapenos along with spices, a bouillon cube, and water.
- Do Not Add Rice!
- Gently stir ingredients around. Set cooker for 4-8 hours. When the cooker turns off, remove the lid and use a fork to shred the chicken.
- Finally, add rice and stir into the chicken taco filling. Cover and let cook for 45 more minutes or until the rice is fully puffed. Most of the liquid will be absorbed by the rice. You may need to turn your slow cooker back on if has turned off or transitioned to the warm setting.
- Serve over shredded cabbage and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, and salsa. This can also go into a tortilla for a burrito, or grilled up with in a quesadilla.
- Add Whole boneless skinless chicken breast to a one gallon freezer bag.
- Chop onions, garlic, green bell pepper, cilantro, and jalapeno and add them to the bag. Add canned corn, black beans and tomatoes. Add dry spices and bouillon cube.
- Store rice separately in cool dry place.
- Close and press out air. Place inside an additional freezer bag to prevent leaks. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Defrost before cooking by placing bag in the fridge the night before.
- Pour the contents of the freezer bag into the crock-pot.
- Add 1 Cup of Water and set the timer.
- Follow the instructions above for adding the rice.
Never miss a new recipe from Delicious by Design! Sign-up below for weekly recipes directly in your inbox.
It's not so long ago since I started to really enjoy shredded chicken. Adding a whole new universe of recipes to my collection now - excited about yours!
Alpana @ GypsyPlate
I love bowls and slow cooker meals. This looks like a great combination!
This looks awesome! I love the combination of healthy colorful ingredients, and so easy to put together.