Perfectly balanced Basil Pesto Sauce Recipe has bright flavors, and a touch of garlicky spice. This perfect pesto coasts pasta beautifully and makes a delicious and easy weeknight meal.
How do you Make Basil Pesto?
Making Basil Pesto is beyond easy. It starts with choosing a few good ingredients, and ends with a blast in the food processor. Summer time is the best time to make pesto and you can find nice bundles of Italian Basil at the grocery store or farmers market. Try to find two big bundles for this recipe. You will need two cups packed. By packed, I really mean stuff the leaves into a measuring cup. Two loose cups just isn't very much basil.
Wash your basil and set it out on a paper towel to collect the excess water. Remove the leaves from the stems by pinching the stems just below the leaf clusters. This way you will be left with nice, unblemished leaves and very little stem.
Measure the basil leaves and place them in the food processor. Add peeled garlic cloves, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend the basil with other ingredients using the pulse button on the food processor. Scrape down the bowl, and continue to blend until the pesto is evenly chopped and mixed.
What is the best way to use Pesto Sauce?
The best thing about a great basil pesto sauce recipe is that there are so many ways to use it. The most popular way to use pesto is to put it on pasta, but it can be used as a marinade or sauce for chicken. You can heat pesto up with cream and make a creamy pesto sauce.
I bet you are craving some serious Italian food. For a hearty Sunday Supper Try Classic Meat Lasagna and the.
"Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it." ~Author Unknown
Basil Pesto Sauce
- Food Processor
- 2 Cups Basil 2 Packed cups or approximately 2 Bundles
- 1 Cup Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- ¼ Cup Pine nuts
- ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- Wash Basil and pat dry. Remove stems by pinching right below the leaf bundles and pulling away. Measure 2 cups packed and add to the food processor.
- Peel garlic cloves and add them to the food processor. Add cheese and pinenuts to the processor bowl as well.
- Wash a lemon, cut in half, and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Be sure to remove the seeds. Add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to the food processor.
- Blend the basil with other ingredients using the pulse button on the food processor. Scrape down the bowl, and continue to blend until the pesto is evenly chopped and mixed.
- Serve this pesto by mixing it into hot pasta. It can also be used as a marinade or topping for chicken.